|This medal was struck to celebrate the 50th anniversary as a lecturer of Johann Trommsdorff.
J.B. Trommsdorff started as an apprentice-pharmacist in Weimar in 1784. In 1795, he became associate professor of chemistry and pharmacy at the University of Erfurt. He founded what is considered the first institute of pharmacy in Germany.
The same medal exists in silver (44 mm, 35.2 g)